Ryans Automotive are now fully equipped and trained to work on hybrid and electric vehicles
We have invested heavily in the latest diagnostic equipment /training and specialist tools to keep up with technology allowing us to capably and safely service and repair the new wave of Hybrid and Electric vehicles coming onto the market to dealer level specification maintaining your vehicles warranty 100%.
Does my Hybrid or Electric vehicle require as much servicing as my old petrol or diesel car
Maintenance work normally associated with an internal combustion engine is not required when owning an full electric car. But with a hybrid this maintenance is still needed and then there are also the items of new technology to be maintained as is the case with electric cars.
A Hybrid or Electric vehicle conventional maintenance items closely resemble those of other models as regards the following:
- Service interval 15,000-30,000kms
- Inspection items: Safety equipment, brakes, chassis and tyres, lighting, screen washers and wipers, mechanical power transmission, low-voltage battery and fastenings, heating and air conditioning unit, and scanning of system fault memories.
New maintenance items associated with Hybrid or Electric vehicles are as follows:
- Inspection items: High-voltage battery cooling, inverter and electric motors cooling, high-voltage battery mounting and enclosure, power transmission components’ tightening torques, charging connections and charging cable, and high-voltage cabling and its mounting.
- High-voltage battery’s condition.
Is there a safety risk when working on high voltage systems in these vehicles
Yes the high-voltage systems used in these vehicles is very dangerous if not handled correctly, in some brands there can be voltages up to 600 volts.
So this presents new dangers and demand new responsibilities to ensure safe working practices for the technicians working on them.
The staff that will be working on your vehicle at Ryan’s Automotive have been fully trained on safe working practices on these vehicles.
Are there special tools and equipment needed to work on these vehicles
Yes there are many different tools required like
- Protective visor, approved for electrical work,
- Voltage-protective gloves, protecting from 1000V electric shock
- Pneumatic Glove Tester
- Insulated rescue pole
- High voltage warning signs
- Protective fences and signs
- key-lockable mechanisms to preventing use of the maintenance isolator switch
- insulation tester
- CAT 3 testing meters and leads
- Air conditioning machine designed to work on both hybrid/electric and conventional
- And much more
And at Ryan’s Automotive we have invested in the above equipment and many other speciality tools required to properly service and repair these vehicles
Do we have the right diagnostic tools required
We have many different multi brand diagnostic tools and accessories for all makes and models to help us diagnose problems with Hybrid and Electric vehicles. We also have dealer level diagnostic systems for the following brands
- BMW and Mini
Other brands to follow soon
Do we have access to the correct technical information necessary
We also have a huge range of technical information data bases and access to car manufacturers official manuals.
The 1st picture shows the engine bay in a Vauxhall Ampera that was in for servicing at Ryan’s Automotive. The 2nd picture shows how the vehicle must be protected from unauthorised access when working on the high voltage systems and the 3rd picture is a Toyota Prius we have available for hire when your vehicle is in for servicing or repairs.
Here are some images of the special safety equipment required
Here are some images of other special tools and diagnostic equipment we use