Ryans Automotive are now fully equipped and trained to work on hybrid and electric vehicles
Maintenance work normally associated with an internal combustion engine is not required when owning an full electric car. But with a hybrid this maintenance is still needed and then there are also the items of new technology to be maintained as is the case with electric cars.
A Hybrid or Electric vehicle conventional maintenance items closely resemble those of other models as regards the following:
- Service interval 15,000-30,000kms
- Inspection items: Safety equipment, brakes, chassis and tyres, lighting, screen washers and wipers, mechanical power transmission, low-voltage battery and fastenings, heating and air conditioning unit, and scanning of system fault memories.
New maintenance items associated with Hybrid or Electric vehicles are as follows:
- Inspection items: High-voltage battery cooling, inverter and electric motors cooling, high-voltage battery mounting and enclosure, power transmission components’ tightening torques, charging connections and charging cable, and high-voltage cabling and its mounting.
- High-voltage battery’s condition(See below for battery maintenance)
BATTERIES NEED TUNE-UPS, TOO.
Are you ignoring your hybrid battery? You perform preventative maintenance to extend the life of your engine (like an oil change every 10,000 kms)—why wouldn’t you do the same to extend the life of your hybrid battery? The battery is the most neglected—yet potentially most expensive—component in any hybrid car. Prolong® Battery Systems restore hybrid battery balance to improve vehicle performance, ensure a safe ride and nudge up your MPGs. Priced at a fraction of the cost of replacing your hybrid battery, Prolong Battery Systems servicing is one of the most sensible investments any hybrid owner can make.
We can perform in vehicle servicing on your battery without removal from the vehicle. This process takes 1.5 to 8 hours depending on the vehicle.
We can perform this servicing/preventative maintenance on the following brands and models
- Toyota = Prius 2004 to 2020, Camry Hybrid 2006 to 2016, Highlander Hybrid 2006 to 2016 (and possibly other Toyota models please enquire for other models)
- Lexus = 2006 to 2016 RX400H and RX450H, 2007 to 2017 GS450H
(and possibly other Lexus models please enquire for other models)
- Honda = 2003 to 2011 Civic Hybrid, 2005 to 2007 Accord Hybrid, 2000 to 2006 Insight, 2009 to 2014 Insight
(and possibly other Toyota models please enquire for other models)
For more info on battery servicing visit our dedicated page by clicking here
Yes the high-voltage systems used in these vehicles is very dangerous if not handled correctly, in some brands there can be voltages up to 600 volts.
So this presents new dangers and demand new responsibilities to ensure safe working practices for the technicians working on them.
The staff that will be working on your vehicle at Ryan’s Automotive have been fully trained on safe working practices on these vehicles.
Yes there are many different tools required like
- Protective visor, approved for electrical work,
- Voltage-protective gloves, protecting from 1000V electric shock
- Pneumatic Glove Tester
- Insulated rescue pole
- High voltage warning signs
- Protective fences and signs
- key-lockable mechanisms to preventing use of the maintenance isolator switch
- insulation tester
- CAT 3 testing meters and leads
- Air conditioning machine designed to work on both hybrid/electric and conventional
- And much more
And at Ryan’s Automotive we have invested in the above equipment and many other speciality tools required to properly service and repair these vehicles
We have many different multi brand diagnostic tools and accessories for all makes and models to help us diagnose problems with Hybrid and Electric vehicles. We also have dealer level diagnostic systems for the following brands
- BMW and Mini
- Land Rover
Other brands to follow soon
We also have a huge range of technical information data bases and access to car manufacturers official manuals.